Tuesday, June 16, 2020

My First Autographed NPB Card

During my last post, I mentioned how I was going to start collection Nippon Professional Baseball cards. I'm finally starting to get a few of my E-Bay shipments, and I think I have a rather nice beginning for my Japanese baseball card collection.

Besides the 1975 Broder Japan Top Star Wes Parker card I had, I discovered another Japanese baseball card of sorts already in hand, which I didn't realize until I started cleaning out my minor league card box.


This particular card was a 1988 Star Masao Kida (#14) minor league card. In 1988, the Miami Marlins were a Class A independent in the Florida State League, as the MLB Marlins wouldn't begin MLB play until 1993. So, in 1987 and 1988, the NPB's Yomiuri Giants sent a few of their players to the States to play with the Marlins, and Kida was one of those players.

Drafted in the first round by the Giants after graduation from Nippon University High School, Kida began his baseball career with the Class A Marlins, going 7-17 with a 3.99 ERA, he returned to Japan to pitch for the Giants (1989-1997), and the Orix Blue Wave (1988). He then began racking up the frequent flier miles, resuming his career in the U.S., where he pitched for the Detroit Tigers (1999-2000), and then returned home to Japan to pitch again for Orix (2000-01). 

From 2003-2005, he began his final U.S. stint, playing for the Mariners and Dodgers (and affiliates), before returning home for good, playing four years with the Yakult Swallows (2006-09), and then the Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters (2010-12). He retired from the Fighters after the 2012 season.

After retiring, he actually closed out his career by pitching for the Ishikawa Million Stars in Japan's Baseball Challenge League (2013-14). They held a retirement ceremony for him on Sept. 14, 2014, whereupon they retired his jersey.

He now serves as a pitching coach for the Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters.

Karma struck again, as I found a 2018 Epoch Season Achievements and 15th Anniversary Legends Kida autographed card, S/N 40 / 59 (#SGB-MKI) for a very reasonable price on E-Bay. Vying against one other bidder, I actually won it for $1.25.



I'd seen his signature on the 2019 Epoch Fighters Legend Signature card (S/N # / 50), but it wasn't as elaborate and whimsical as this one, as I really like the image he drew of himself. I actually found a website featuring Kida's Painter M's (Ishikawa Million Stars) Stamp that he drew of himself, and it's quite a match with the drawing on this card.

Heaven help me, it looks like I'm now well on my way with my Japanese baseball card collection.

Stay safe and healthy out there.

6 comments:

  1. Oh wow, those are really cool cards. I also like the way Kida drew a picture of himself with his autograph, that is very unique. $1.25 is a steal too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother likes to be called Masao. I think that's the first time I've seen a card with that name. Anyways... seeing it and reading your post reminded me that the San Jose Giants team sets from back in the late 80's were loaded with NPB players.

    Are you only collecting NPB guys? Or are you collecting guys who have migrated over to the states as well? In other words... do you want MLB cards of Nomo, Matsui, Ichiro, etc.?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. That autograph is sweet!

      Delete
    2. Fuji - I'm actually collecting NPB. I believe we won't have a season this year in the billionaires vs. millionaires MLB. So, I've been turning my sights toward the NPB and its players and cards.

      Delete
    3. Good to know. I don't get NPB dupes all the time, but now I know who to send them to.

      Delete
  3. The 1980's were a golden age for NPB teams to send players to play in the US minors, especially with independent teams like Miami. In 1988 alone half the teams in NPB had players in the US in places like Miami, San Jose, Salt Lake City, Butte, Vero Beach and Fresno. And that doesn't even mention Salinas which was part owned by the Hawks starting in 1989 or 1990 and had a Japanese manager (Hide Koga) for a couple years.

    I've been doing a series of posts on the Japanese minor leaguers although I haven't done one on any US teams for a while. That 1988 card of Kida is actually his earliest card. Longtime Dragons pitcher Masahiro Yamamoto had his first card ever in the 1988 Vero Beach set.

    And one minor correction - Kida was with the Orix BlueWave in 1998. Orix didn't take the name Buffaloes until 2005.

    Nice autograph card! I need to keep my eyes open more on Ebay.

    ReplyDelete