Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Debut of "Comatoad on Cards"

Since retiring from the military, I've been a Special Education Associate for the Johnston (Iowa) Community School District. Our Spring break was to run March 16-20, but then who would have guessed this Coronavirus thing would so quickly become a pandemic. To make a long story short, our governor closed all schools until April 30. Iowa has not had a "shelter in place" proclamation, but we still can't congregate in groups larger than 10, so I've been spending quite a bit of time here at home.

My wife, who works for Iowa PBS, on the state's Foundation side, has been able to work both at home and office. Other than an occasional trip to the grocery store, taking the dog out for a walk, or to pick up the odd carry out meal, we've been biding our time watching TV, reading, and playing with LEGOS.



This is my LEGO representation of those toilet paper hoarders out there. They know who they are.

We're also track and field officials, working the throws events. All of our high school meets have been cancelled, as well as the Drake Relays and the other college meets we would normally officiate. So our 2020 outdoor season is pretty much toast.

Since it seems as if I now have plenty of time on my hands, I've decided to resume my latent blogging abilities, with "Comatoad on Cards." I chose the title because A) Comatoad is my nickname/logo/handle; B) Comamtoad is acually laying on cards; and C) I actually enjoy talking about cards. Get it?

This, by no means represents the end of "Bleedin' Brown and Gold." After all, I do indeed bleed brown and gold for my beloved San Diego Padres.

However, I also felt I was doing a great disservice to the other cards I was collecting, especially since  I was just beginning my track and field card collection. Besides anything and everything San Diego Padres, I still like my early Green Bay Packers cards (pre-1972)...and hockey cards...and comic books...and Batman cards...and the occasional other non-sports issue...You can see where this is heading.

So I'll get started with a few cards I've picked up over the past few months.

If you're a true Batman fan, how can you not like the Clown Prince of Crime? I picked up this Nature Made  DC Comics Super Heroes The Joker (#11) off E-bay.


Ever the fan of COMC, I picked up the bottom two "Black Bat" Batman cards, "Robin in Action" (#18), and "Robin is Kidnapped" (#29). I only have a few of the Black bats, as well as a couple of the Blue Bats, so these are a couple of sets I'll eventually be working on..

A friend of mine actually sent this 2013 Upper Deck Goodwin Champions Relic Ashton Eaton memorabilia card (#M-AE) to me. A University of Oregon Duck. Eaton is a two-time Olympic champion, who holds the world record in the indoor heptathlon.

While it felt good to be tapping away at the keyboard again and looking at cards, I have every intent to continue this on a more consistent basis. 

Until then, keep safe and keep healthy.

2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog via your comment on the Red Sox Fan in Nebraska blog. Welcome to the blogging community!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the blogging community from me too! Look forward to reading.

    ReplyDelete