Wednesday, April 22, 2020

My first Tony Gwynn auto

Even though I have more than 900 Tony Gwynn cards, ranging from his 1982 TCMA Hawaii Islanders "Rookie" (#10) card, to his 2015 Panini National Convention VIP Party (#59) card, I've as yet to own a Tony Gwynn autograph card.

Since we usually make a trip to San Diego every three to four years or so, I always figured we'd catch a San Diego State game and try and get an autograph from Coach Gwynn during our "next" visit. 

I guess it wasn't meant to be, with Tony's untimely demise due to salivary gland cancer on June 16, 2014. Unfortunately, what makes that date stick out in my mind even more, is the fact it's also my wife's birthday. 

That changed late last year, thanks to COM, I had been assisting with their card inventory, and for every 50 cards you inventory correctly, you get 100 points, and every 1,000 points earned, is worth $1 of store cred. I haven't worked with the COMC inventory in quite some time, but at that point, I was
at 982,600 points, which was good for 37th overall on the leaderboard.


So, armed with a hefty bankroll, I decided to scratch my Gwynn autograph itch, and ordered a 2005 Timeless Treasures Silver Autograph (#19). The photo featured Gwynn in his typical batting stance, looking to put the ball into play between third and short (his "5.5" hole), as well as a nice, crisp, clean autograph. 

As you can see, it's also numbered to 50 (#43/50). Another homage to his hitting prowess can be found on the back of the card, which reads, "Only once in 20 seasons, did Gwynn strike out more than 35 times."


While shopping, I also decided to pick up this 2009 Topps Legends of the Game Manufactured Commemorative Patch 1985 MLB All-Star Game (#LPR87).While I'm not a huge "manufactured patch" fan, I figured what the heck. The price was nice.

So there you have it, the first "Mr. Padres" autograph card to grace my Gwynn collection...And one I definitely love!

Stay healthy and safe out there.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. You've helped COMC a lot. Glad to see the hard work paid off with a Mr. Padre autograph. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete